It’s not unusual to find oneself reminiscing over the holiday season. For many years, this has landed me in a bit fat bowl of self-pity-pie. As per the very eloquent “Yes and Yes”, and her post on 10 ways to spend your extra hour (not that I have an extra hour, rather that I have a desire to actually feel good about my past year), I have compiled a list of things Cataloging my Accomplishments for this past calendar year (I felt I could be a little generous; there’s something very affirming about looking back on exactly where you were on this day one year ago and reflecting on all that’s transpired since). So, without further ado, here is my year in review:
1. Moved- and not just any ‘ol kind of move. But moved in with a roommate, something I haven’t had in four years. Said goodbye to the little apartment I basically thought I’d never say goodbye to.
2. Fell in love, like the real kind, with someone who seeming came out of nowhere.
3. Lost approx. 50 lbs- I haven’t kep track of exactly how much I’ve lost since last December, but I know the total amount is 75lbs, so we’ll estimate that by last December, I’d already lost twenty or so.
4. Went on three beach vacations.
5. Had my car both stolen and returned to me, all within a month and a half’s time.
9. Started and finished both the written and physical part of a Graphic Design senior thesis.
10. Shot, processed, and printed well over 50 rolls of film.
11. Bought a record player for $30 from Signs of Victory. Began collecting records. Now have somewhere around 140 (with some help from Matt).
12. Learned how to bowl really well and won the ladies league in my bowling class, earning myself the first pick in our class prize drawing, which amounted to a very awesome light pink shirt with whales on it. My highest personal score was a 168; not too impressive I know. But for me, it’s big.
13. Conceived, constructed, and shot what seemed at the time to be the most daunting Graphic Design endeavor in my career as an intern.
14. Read a couple of books- just for fun; including “The Road” and “the Philosophy of Andy Warhol”.
15. Effectively stole and then returned (several months later) a 6’x7’ sheet of dark tinted glass- my original premise was to use it for art; it spent five months leaning aside my wall in my bedroom and then had to be carried out by two large men when I moved and transported back to the glass store from whence it came.
17. Worked one thousand hours in one month. In addition to my school work.
18. Made new friends, lost a few old…welcomed a few old ones back.
19. Celebrated my birthday with new plates, a speeding ticket and a broken ECU.
20. Got hooked on and watched season one of Flight of the Conchords twice.
21. Went to countless shows at Bomb’s, experienced many nights of wonderful music with great company.
22. Had a visit from my Grandparents where we got to enjoy a huge picnic in Avery park, complete with all the trimmings and many a brewskie consumed.
23. Two visits from Ledge, one that included a beach trip, both that included Dream.
24. Broke myself of needing sugar- I no longer sweeten tea/cereal/etc. with sugar. Have made a constant committment all year long to eat well and treat my body with respect. I have eaten fast food three times this year
25. Bought, kept, carried, and maintained a planner the entire year. Ordered the same one for the coming year.
26. Showed my car in a car show and almost won a prize. Almost.
27. Almost got hit and killed by a drunk driver. Swerved, escaped, waited for the police and watched the guy get hauled off in handcuffs while I gave my statement.
So I’ve gone back to a somewhat default format for now. I guess this is more about the fact that I’m not really happy with how I’ve been using this whole apparatus. Initially I’d just wanted a place to throw all of my internet wanderings. Now, I think it might take on more of a blog sort of migration. We’ll see where things go from here.
I’ve never had such a bad experience with a company- and this one’s even been short lived. But after reading reviews (something I should have done in the first place…) I can only hope that things resolve themselves soon. I ordered my polaroid film a couple of weeks ago and have been tracking its progress accross the country ever since. My initial surprise came when I found that Ace charges multiple shipping for multiple items, even when those items are shipped together. Boo. No matter, the film was much cheaper than anywhere else and was supposed to be here in decent time. Not so. According to UPS, Ace never supplied them with my correct address information. According to Ace, everything is correct on their end. “I’ll call them right after I get off the phone with you.” This is the second day now that I’ve talked with someone and they’ve told me the package is out for delivery. Who knows where it’s going. I can only hope my credit card company can back me up on this if the whole thing goes south.
These are definitely going on the wishlist: I can’t even begin to count the number of times I’ve been out on my bike, or just plain out, with gloves on and had to stop-remove glove-and then change volume or song on my ipod. A much better solution than all those other “one finger less” gloves I’ve been seeing.
Spending a lot of time at the library, prepping an essay for my photo class…narrowing it down. Reflecting on my photo journal. Consuming vanilla italian sodas as if they were water (I should probably drink more water), and revelling in the fact that yesterday’s photo critique didn’t leave me bloodied and torn to bits. If nothing else, I feel…ok about the whole thing. Now to find space for a dark room in the apartment. This will not go over well, but I’m sure Matt’s seen it coming for some time now.